Join for free and connect with our local tech scene
Stay on top of the latest companies and upcoming events with our weekly newsletter, and be counted among the people building the future of your local tech community.
We'll be talking data science: data analytics, statistics, big data, predicting the stock market, and all that. Shane and Chris A. will be presenting.
Shane will be telling us about data analytics. Here's what he's planning:
• I'll primarily cover R (mlbench, caret) and Python (scikit-learn, pandas) for the open source tools.
• I'll also mention the advantages/disadvantages of costly closed source approaches including MATLAB and SAS in less detail.
• I'll also talk about why Debian + Backports is my preferred environment for data science work.
• Lastly, I'll talk about how a career in data science can be very rewarding and how to start a career.
• I'm unsure about the length of the presentation, but probably at least 30 minutes if I were to do a demo + answer questions. I have an NFL field goal data set that I can use, and can demonstrate how to predict the chance of a successful field goal using several different approaches.
In addition, Chris A. will be showing us a program he wrote that uses analytics.
Come and join us! We usually have between 15 and 25 Linux users, admins, and programmers show up. Good conversation and networking.
We meet on the second Wednesday of each month. If we don't have an announced program, feel free to come with a discussion topic or a presentation to make to us! (Or just come and join the conversation!)
Keep up on the latest by subscribing to our KYOSS discussion list. Just send an email to [masked]
Register and log in to our web site at www.kyoss.org (http://www.kyoss.org/). Keep up on the very latest on our IRC channel: freenode/#kyoss